Does Bear Spray Work on Mountain Lions?
Many wildlife specialists recommend carrying bear spray always when hiking or running in the wilderness. One of the best is Counter assault. We know that bear spray can be highly effective in deterring bears. What about mountain lions? Yes, it can help you deter even a mountain lion.
Is there any Evidence?
These two pieces of evidence may help you realize the effectiveness of bear spray on a mountain lion.
- On June 10, 2001, bear spray saved lives of Montana’s researchers from 120 pound female lion.
- In 2004, a cougar attacked couple of mountain bikers in California. Good thing is, they survived but the incident left officials stunned with body of 35-year-old cyclist and the same cougar.
What is bear spray?
Bear spray is a non-lethal invention that ensures
When sprayed, it causes swelling of nose, eyes
Tips to Best Use It with Mountain Lions
- If a mountain lion seems to approach you, here your safety is important. Make sure, you use a bear spray on its face.
- Also, cougars tend to attack on neck and head. So, make sure you keep on standing while using bear spray. Researchers claim that mountain lions don’t recognize standing humans as a target.
- Your response should depend on lion’s behavior. If it’s not doing anything, it’s better to back away and avoid an encounter. But, if it’s approaching you, then you better get prepared.
How far bear spray will shoot?
A can of bear spray has an attacking range of about 25 feet. If you spray a cloud to animal that’s nearly 25 feet away, active ingredients of bear spray will be enough to fend it off. Experts also suggest that, sometimes noise and sight of bear spray can help avoid encounters with mountain lion in the first place.
How long should you spray it?
Wildlife experts suggest that a canister of the bear spray typically holds about 6 or 9 seconds of spray. A burst of one or two seconds is enough to create an orange smoke. But, if the attacking lion returns to threaten your life, then offer it a second burst.
Carry safety gear
Learn to be safe and secure while hiking in cougar country. Getting attacked by a mountain lion rarely happens but if it happens, be ready to use a bear spray. If you want to learn more about best bear sprays read this reviews